Friday 3 June 2011

Last day of work today!! Good day but so glad I`m on holiday. Setting off on the bike on Sunday - from my house in Stirling to Cortina in the Dolomites (as you do) - the trip has been planned for sometime now but planning is maybe not quite the right word ..................................

The trip has been planned in the sense that at the end of last year I decided that I was going to do this mad bike ride and then go walking and climbing when I get there with Nige and some friends from the OMC - they have more sense and are either flying or driving there.
That is where the planning and organising has kind of got to though ..............................

I have a vague route - Stirling to Dover; Dover to Dunkerque (by ferry); Dunkerque to Strasbourg and then Strasbourg to the Cortina - it`s a kind of join the dots on the way kind of route with a kind of south and then south east direction but I`m fairly sure I will arrive at my destination. Picking up my road map of Europe tomorrow will probably be quite handy.

As to other planning - between now and Sunday I need to gather together tent, sleeping bag, clothes, stove, camera, etc, etc and not get too drunk at the wedding we are going to on Saturday night- big congrats in advance to Jean and Chris!!

And then there is the training for such a long bike ride - well this year apart from my daily bike rides to work- mostly less than 2 miles each way - I have hardly been on the bike. I have done lots and lots of running for the London Marathon but NO real cycling so the training is kind of starting on Sunday, kind of on route, which sounds quite reasonable to me???

Right going to stop typing; the other half is doing the dishes so I have no excuses - I am going to try and conquer my fear of packing - I hate it with a passion - although I am very limited as to what I can take so it does simply things - wear one / wash one and if I`ve got room I`m going to squeeze in a dress (and hope it doesn`t get too crumpled)!!!

No comments: