Monday 20 June 2011

Bonjour and greetings from Strasbourg

Hello
Well me and the bike have made it to Strasbourg - Im a little smaller - tummy is as flat as an ironing board which is nice but boobs have shrunk and thighs have got bigger - sure its supposed to be the other way round!!!
Surprised I found may hear at all - had a hell of job finding my way out of Calais - all routes seemed to take you to the motorway - but eventually was told I was on a "bonne route" - now got better maps and route planning mostly gone to plan - although been stopped by the local gendarme twice now - once for accidently cycling down a one way street the wrong way and once for accidently cycling down the slip road to motorway - I'd realised my mistake just as they got to me.
Weather mostly dry and sunny but caught in some heavy showers - the boots have been left at base to try and air them!!!!
Cycling mostly flat untill yesterday - passing lots of crops - can see for miles. Yesterday came from Vic to Strasbourg via Dabo - took this route as it would be quieter - knew it would be windy but hadn't taken into consideration the climb - this was this first wee hill I had come across and it was a cracker of a climb - the wind with me all the way - and an incredible downhill - the speedo broken so not sure how fast I went but best bit of the ride so far. Down the otherside and back into the flatlands again - seemed much more affluent here and grape vines as far as the eye could see!!
Continued on towards Strasbourg - all going well untill the last 10k or so when I could not find a route - all signs to Strasbourg seemed to point to the motorway but managed to highjack a couple out cycling and we did a wee bit of follow the leader as they took me on a mix of cycle paths and paths through the crop fields and then pointed me in the direction of the city centre where I found my way to the campsite with no further problems.
Been living on fabby bagettes, cheese and salad since I got to France but going to treat myself to something different today.
Now just got to find my way to Cortina!!!

No comments: