Saturday 5 July 2008

Day Six and Seven

Hi all. Thanks to Nige for keeping everyone posted on my travels and thanks to everyone for all your good luck messages and encouragement - it's much appreciated.

Yesterday was a late start - was cold during the night, and didn't sleep terribly well so was later coming round in the morning. Glorious sunshine to start. Slow progress today and lots of rests, including watching the barges going through the Beeston Iron Lock - a pair of yellow wagtails perched right beside me while I was watching the boats. My get up and go finally kicked in late afternoon and I ended up doing approx 115 miles and wild camped in an Orchard about 18 miles from Glouster. Mostly dry today but poured as I put the tent up but as it was overcast it was a much warmer night and I slept much better than the previous night.

This morning started without too much wind but raining. Passed some really pretty traditional cottages 0n route, including some with thatched roofs. Gradually rain eased of and turned into a really nice morning, however the further south I got the stronger the wind got and it became hard work and nearly was blown off the bike on a couple of occaisions. Then it got worse - south west of Bath the wind got stonger but brought with it driving rain - not overly concerned - I thought I would cut the day short as I thought Nigel wasn't far behind. However a lack of communication on both our parts, found me having done 85 miles to the town of Wells and resembling a very cold and wet rat when Nigel picked me up with the van. Had hoped to arrive at Land's End in 8 days but looking like 9 at the moment - at least I will travel light weight tomorrow as I won't need to take the tent or sleeping bag with me.

2 comments:

Moira said...

Hi Lucy
Sounds like you're going great! Look forward to hearing all about your adventures.
Colin and Moira

Anonymous said...

Fantastic effort Lucy, sounds as though you are going great guns despite the weather !

All the best

Dave