Tuesday 8 July 2008

Day Eight and Nine

Hi all

Day 8 was to be an easier day. Tempted by roast dinner at nigel`s Dad`s house tonight (in Braunton) I opted for a shorter but more senic day leaving me with only 120 miles tomorrow to complete my journey to Land`s End! Nigel droped me back off in Wells (not far from Glastonbury). Despite setting off in full waterproof gear - one plastic bag over my cycle helmet and one over each sock, inside my trainers which had never dried out last night - it was a great cycling day. A mix of sunshine and showers and the wind was mostly with me.


The rounds were generally narrower and their was more traffic today but this wasn`t too much of a problem. I stopped briefly in Dunster and my first proper Cornish Pastie - great grub and set me up for most of the rest of the ride today.

At Minehead I had communication from Nigel to say that he was at the top of Porlock Hill - I was told the views were great, that a bowl of soup would be waiting and that there was an icecream van in the carpark - what more encouragement did I need - Nigel did also tell me that it might take some time for me to get there as it was a steep hill - no worries I thought as I don't have my panniers today. When I got to the bottom of the hill it turned out to be a 1:4 slope and it was suggested that large vehicles, caravans and bicycles take the toll road - stubborness got the better of me and I decided to give it a go! I managed up to the point where it said not pediastrians (the road steepened and narrowed here and was dark with overhanging trees and trying to walk would be dangerous)

Day 9: I left Braunton in my, now, usual garb of waterproof jacket and plastic bags to keep my helmet and feet dry. However despite the rainy start I was mostly lucky with the weather and the few rains showers I encountered didn't last long. The wind was also with me for the large part so that made things a lot easier.
I stopped at Piers Cafe, near ?, after the first 50 miles for a brilliant cheeseburger and chips - great road side cafe and definately not a greasy spoon. Charged up again and raring to go and still hoping to get to Land`s End today but still got another 85 miles to go! Another stop, just under 30 miles from Penaznce saw me parked on the grass outside a busy petrol station tucking into peperammi, biscuits and a tin of red bull, still hoping to do the final push in a oner - Nigel had suggested that I get to Penzance and do the final leg, when fresh, in the morning but determined I pushed on and was still feeling fairly fit.
The last stretch from Penzance was uphill and into a strong wind and my legs were complaining bitterly - I was beginning to think that Nigel was right and that I should have left the last 15 or so miles untill the morning but both Nigel and his Mum were waiting at Land`s End for me and I pushed on. The last uphills were tough but the final downhill (with the wind behind me)
and I finally arrived at Land`s End 8.55 pm on Monday evening.
Lucy

No comments: